Fundamentals of Digital Marketing/ Social Media & E-Commerce
Marketing excellence is a prerequisite for success in any business, from startups to the world’s most established enterprises, yet the art and science of marketing is constantly evolving. Arm yourself with the essential principles and practices of marketing in the digital economy by making this course, taught by Internet consumer shopping expert and Wharton professor David Bell, an indispensable part of your knowledge base.
In this business and management course, you will gain an understanding of how the digital economy works and develop the critical insights necessary to succeed in e-commerce and digital and social media marketing.
The fixed and mobile Internet and related technologies exert a profound influence on how business and social institutions evolve, how they are challenged—and sometimes, even displaced. Companies that were non-existent a few short years ago, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Uber, have dramatically changed how we interact, communicate and get from point A to B. Even Amazon and Google are relatively “young” by any measure. If you’re an entrepreneur, investor, manager, or student, you need thoughtful approaches to navigate and win in this new environment.
This course is organized around four broad themes and we will use relevant theory and analysis, as well as numerous practical examples to develop our key learning points.
The themes are:
- Behavioral foundations for understanding and navigating the new online-offline landscape
- New forms of interaction, including formation of networks and reputation building
- Tools and principles of digital marketing action including online advertising on fixed and mobile devices
- New media platforms and the emergence of “organic” celebrities and communities
This course is beneficial to marketing professionals, analysts, entrepreneurs, small business owners, investors, and consumers This course evolved from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School’s very first course on digital marketing and e-commerce.
The Digital Marketing Professional Certificate Programme from Wharton includes the following courses:
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing, Social Media, and E-Commerce
Build the marketing skills you need to succeed in the Digital Economy from Wharton, consistently ranked #1 globally for marketing education.
Marketing Analytics: Data Tools and Techniques
Learn how to measure, manage and analyse customer data to make effective marketing decisions.
Managing the Value of Customer Relationships
Learn how to identify your most valuable customers to develop and implement customer-centric strategies and maximize their strategic value.
Selling Ideas: How to Influence Others, and Get Your Message to Catch On
Learn how to use social media and word of mouth to spread your message and grow your business.
No Need to Travel
4 March 2019
2-3 hrs effort per week/module
Module 1: Behavioural Foundations
- Overall Introduction to the Course
- Online-Offline Overview
- New Business Models of the Digital Economy: Principles and Examples
- Introduction to GRAVITY (Geography, Resistance, Adjacency, Vicinity, Isolation, Topography and You)
Module 2: New Forms of Interaction
- Frictions and Commerce
- Variety and the Digital Economy
- Online-Offline Interaction and the Omni Channel World
- Reputation and Reviews
Module 3: Tools & Principles
- Introduction to Digital Marketing Assets
- Digital Marketing Tools and Tactics: A Taxonomy
- Online Advertising: Approaches and Principles
- Earned and Integrated Media
- Mobile Engagement
Module 4:New Media Platforms
- Networks Effects
- Social Advertising and Social Targeting
- Viral Product Features and Viral Content
- Organic Celebrity, Persuasion, and Sentiment
- Online Community and Models of Influence
- How to leverage new models in business and e-commerce to increase profitability
- Successful Social media and digital marketing techniques
- Real-world application of digital marketing and e-commerce methods
- How to market yourself and your products more effectively and efficiently